12 Dec Winter Storage Tips
It’s that time of year again when car enthusiasts prepare to take their last drive of the season and get their vehicle ready for winter storage. A sad day, indeed, but absolutely necessary in order to ensure that your sports or classic car is ready to roll again in the spring!
SIMPLE KELOWNA WINTER STORAGE TIPS TO PREPARE YOUR VEHICLE
There are a number of simple steps that should be taken to protect your vehicle from damage over the winter months:
- Store your vehicle in a dry garage with a concrete floor
- Top off fluids such as engine oil and coolant
- Ensure the fuel tank is full and add a fuel stabilizer to the system
- Set tires to maximum pressures
- Have the car washed and detailed before it is stored
- Use a well fitted cover to protect the vehicle’s finish
These are easy, common sense solutions that help to extend the life of your automobile and keep it performing at its best.
Pest Prevention – A must for Winter Storage in Kelowna
One step that many vehicle owners fail to take is pest control – and it can lead to costly damages.
We are seeing more and more vehicles with damage due to mice, rats and even marmots. Stored cars offer the perfect winter home for critters that are looking to escape the cold and find a warm, dry place to nest. The results can be disastrous. Destruction from chewed wires and insulation can cost thousands to repair and can impede the safe operation of the vehicle if the infestation goes undetected. Health concerns of a rodent infestation are an important consideration too, as hantavirus – a virus that is carried by rodents and can be passed on to humans – can lead to some serious symptoms for unsuspecting drivers.
The good news is that there are ways to discourage animals from taking up residence in your automobile.
- Place mothballs underneath and around the vehicle to help deter rodents
- Dryer sheets around the car are effective as well as mice and rats tend to dislike their scent
- Set traps in your garage and check them periodically
Try these easy tips to keep your ride from turning into a rodent hotel this winter. You’ll be glad you did!
Book an appointment with Kelowna’s European car experts today. You and your car deserve the best.